Encyclopedia Pro is the supercharged state of the art lexicon and glossary WordPress premium plugin which enables you to create, organize and present a knowledge base in a breath - completely coalesced with your WordPress and fully compatible with all the cool publishing tools you like. You will love it! Enjoy the easy way to manage your contents with WordPress in combination with a whole bunch of smart features like automatically term linking in your websites contents.
Facts & Features
- Manage and organize your terms as encyclopedia, lexicon, glossary, Wiki, dictionary or knowledge base
- Automatically generated index page with all terms, sorted alphabetically, with prefix filter on top (optional)
- Every term has its own page with unique URL
- SEO conform URL structure for all kind of pages
- Tags and categories to classify your terms (both tags and categories are disjunct from your post tags and post categories)
- Prefix filter (A|B|C...X|Y|Z) above single view and archive index page which allows a letter-by-letter term filtering
- Works with Latin, Arabian, Russian, Chinese, Turkish, and all other UTF-8 compliant languages!
- Automatic association of related terms (based on common tags)
- Automatic linking of all your terms appearing in your post and page contents (cross linking)
- You can define the target of the links of the automatically linked terms
- Selectable content types (pages, posts, media, custom posts types) in which the terms should be linked automatically
- Completely translatable - .pot file is included
- Already available in German, French, Spanish, Polish, Indonesian, Norwegian
- Supports WPML flawless and enables you to create a multilingual knowledge base
- Supports the WordPress theme template hierarchy and the parent-child-theme paradigm
- Supports user defined HTML templates
- Supports revisions for your terms – perfect if you have multiple authors
- Supports term comments
- Supports featured images as term thumbnails
- Supports excerpts for your entered terms (the same way you already know from regular posts)
- Supports WordPress user rights and capabilities
- Supports the WordPress menus and enables you to add all components of your encyclopedia to any menu
- Supports RSS feeds for the index page and for the comments
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Flawless integration of audio, video, multimedia elements and shortcodes in the content of your terms
- Search function for exclusive searching in encyclopedia or glossary terms
- Widget to display the exclusive encyclopedia search in the sidebar
- Auto-complete and term suggestions for search phrases
- Automatic redirect of a user to the term page if he searches for an exact term title
- Widget to display the terms in your sidebar
- Widget to display the tag and categories of your Encyclopedia in the sidebar
- Includes a bunch of filters to give you the control of the behavior of this piece of code
- Import and export directly via the official "WordPress Importer" by Automattic
- Works great with WordPress Multisite
- Personal one-on-one real-time support by the developer
- No ads or branding anywhere - perfect white label solution
The free Lite Version
In the Lite edition of the plugin you can take a look around and you try out everything. On several places in the plugin you will find a notice that this function is included in the premium version only. The number of terms is limited to twelve. For the Lite version you can use the support forums on WordPress.org. You can find the Download here.
This package contains the plugin itself, updates for one year and support for one year.
If you already bought the plugin, this package will add one more year of updates and support to your account.
Within the scope of the support package we will help you to install and setup the plugin properly at your website. The support does not contain code changes at your theme or our plugin.
This package contains the plugin itself with one year of updates. If you already bought the plugin, this package will add another year of updates to your account.
- Download the Lite or Pro version of this extension. The downloaded file should to be a .zip file. If your browser or operating system offers you a directory as download you need to re-zip it on your own or you need to find a way to get the .zip file. Please consider buying the support package. We will install the plugin for you on your server.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard and log in with an administrator account.
- Please deactivate all other versions of the plugin. Especially deactivate the Lite version if you want to install the Pro version. Your already created data will not get lost when you deactivate the plugin!
- Please navigate to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload.
- Then please upload the before downloaded .zip file of this extension.
- When the upload was successful, WordPress will offer your to activate the plugin.
- In a final step please navigate to the options page:
- Scroll to the "User rights" box and setup the initial user rights for each group.
- Enter your license credentials to get the updates directly via the dashboard.
- Study the documentation attentively!
- Activate the encyclopedia
- Create and edit terms
- Related terms
- Terms in WordPress menus
- Encyclopedia archives
- Template files
- Taxonomies (cloud)
- Related Terms
- Options page
Activate the encyclopedia
To activate the encyclopedia it is necessary to set the user rights for each user group. You can do that on the options page in the "User rights" box: Go to Settings -> Encyclopedia. Scroll down to "User rights" and click on the box title to open the box. Tick "Yes" for all the rights you want to give to a certain user group.
Create and edit terms
After you have activated the encyclopedia feature you can find a new menu entry in your dashboard: "Encyclopedia (or something like this, depends on your settings). Now you can click on "Add Term" to start fill your new knowledge base with contents. The interface is willfully adapted from the original WordPress post and page interface. This way it will be very easy for you to step in.
Taxonomies for encyclopedia terms have the same behavior like the post tags and categories you already know from usual posts. For the encyclopedia you can use categories to classify your terms. Tags are necessary if you want to display related terms anywhere.
To activate taxonomies you need to go to the options page and scroll down to the "Taxonomies" box. There you can activate and deactivate the categories and tags for the encyclopedia post type. Do not forget to scroll to the button and hit the "Save changes" button.
The management of the taxonomies is as easy as the management of the post categories.
Terms in your encyclopedia can be "related" if they have common tags. Two terms are more related if they have more common tags.
On the options page you can setup that related terms should appear automatically above or below a terms content. If you deactivate this option you can display the related terms manually through adding the [encyclopedia_related_terms] shortcode to the terms content. (With the "number" attribute you can set a limit of how many related terms should be shown.)
Encyclopedia Pro uses the WordPress embedded user rights system to control the access to terms, taxonomies and options. You can change these settings directly on the options page without any external plugin. By default nobody has any right, expect the administrator of your installation - the administrator can see and change the options page. So the first step after activating the plugin should be the capability configuration. Go to your Dashboard -> Settings -> Encyclopedia. Scroll down to the "User rights" options box and open it up with a click on the box title. Then you can set the available capabilities for all existing user groups.
Terms in WordPress menus
Nothing is more awesome than a plugin which plays well with all the cool WordPress features. You can add all encyclopedia terms and taxonomies to your custom menus. Go to your Dashboard -> Appearance -> Menus.
The encyclopedia archives are the index pages which lists all your terms. Every encyclopedia index page will automatically be sorted alphabetically and gets a great letter navigation at the top. The letter navigation will be visible only if there are two or more choices for the user. Encyclopedia Pro generates one index page for every category and for every tag. You can find the URLs to these archives in the edit category/edit tag screen in your dashboard.
All plugin outputs can be changed via user defined HTML templates. Just create the templates you want to overwrite inside your theme folder (no matter if parent theme or child theme). You can find the default templates in the plugin folder in "templates/". Attention: Do not change any plugin files at any time. You will lose you modifications after an update!
|archive-encyclopedia.php*||Renders the archive page for all encyclopedia terms.|
|taxonomy-encyclopedia-tag.php*||Renders the tag archive for each encyclopedia tag.|
|taxonomy-encyclopedia-category.php*||Renders the category archive for each encyclopedia category.|
|search-encyclopedia.php*||Renders the search results for searches inside the encyclopedia terms.|
|single-encyclopedia.php*||Renders the single view for each encyclopedia term.|
|encyclopedia-prefix-filter.php||Renders the prefix filter above the encyclopedia term archive and single view.|
|encyclopedia-related-terms.php||Renders the list of related terms above/below the single view of each encyclopedia term.|
|encyclopedia-related-terms-widget.php||Renders the "Related terms" Widget.|
|searchform-encyclopedia.php||Renders the "Encyclopedia Search" Widget.|
|encyclopedia-terms-widget.php||Renders the "Encyclopedia Terms" Widget.|
* These templates could be placed in your theme or child theme. They are not part of the plugin!
This widget displays all non empty encyclopedia taxonomies as list.
This widget displays all non empty encyclopedia taxonomies as word cloud.
This widget displays all encyclopedia terms as list.
This widget displays all related terms of the current one as list. You should use this widget in a sidebar which is visible in the single view of a encyclopedia term.
perfect for adding glossary across all posts/custom posts
This plugin does exactly what I'm looking for and is well worth the PRO version.
Nice and well made plugin
A good and well coded encyclopedia plugin. As far as i have tested it, it is the best outta there.
As a language teacher and translator I was looking for a dictionary plugin for my students. The free version is limited, but gives a good insight in the possibilities of the pro version.
And I needed a Dutch version - after translating the plugin into Dutch and sending it to Dennis Hoppe - I decided to buy the pro version. And it works great!
Almost all the software I have has to be annually upgraded, so I was not astonished by the annual upgrading - Dennis Hoppe really helps out and is constantly working on this plugin.
Great for small dict
Just install on my blog, don't know how to use at the begining but after following the instruction on Author home page, everything become easy.
I am using this plugin on three websites now and have found no problems with the plugin. As with all new plugins it a question of working around compatibility with others and getting to know the plugin. In the end there are no problems I have encountered with this one. It could be developed to add more features but overall very good and does what it says.
Great publishing tool!
All you needs to build a big indexation's project! Highly recomended!
I use this plugin with pre version and i found it wonderful pulgin it make all of my needs… Thanks for Developer :)
Just what you are looking for!
This is the ONLY plugin for word press that does what wikis do best- Cross linking- not even the bigger, shinier member driven WP communities had the capability of creating a legitimate wiki that actually is self referential. Well worth the money!
This is a great plugin because it is highly versatile and can be used as a simple glossary or a fairly complex wiki. I particularly love how it automatically links every reference to my encyclopedia terms back to its source, regardless of where is it posted in my site. It also shows a brief tool-tip when hovering over such links, making this plugin all the more convenient. Definitely recommended if you need an on-site encyclopedia.
Excellent Plugin and lightning fast support
Excellent Plugin, simple to use and and lightning fast support from Dennis Hoppe. Thank you very much!
Exactly what we were looking for
Everything in this plugin works as promised. Encyclopedic terms are automatically, and correctly, linked to throughout the site. Simple set-up, great look, and extremely customizable through CSS.
Simply Great. Small & Fast. Really Great Work!
Good plugin. Easy to learn. Makes nice search engine friendly urls.
Excellent use of custom post types
I only started using this great plugin in February 2013 and I must say I am impressed. I like the use of custom post types - it makes perfect sense. This plugin works brilliantly. Thank you.
Fantastic plugin and builds a superb looking glossary.
Great plugin with awesome support
The greatest value of this plugin is (except for it's powerful features) that it's supported and developed almost on a daily basis.
It's so sad that the free version don't have plural management but the plugin is really awesome :D
We were able to use the plugin to construct a glossary from spreadsheet data we have. great plugin with rapid support response time!
Must have! It is really good.
While there's a few features I'd like to see, this is one heck of a good plugin. We cranked out 281 new and very useful pages in our site in a matter of a couple of hours start to finish. Two thumbs up and six stars.
Excellent glossary, excellent support
This plugin, even the free version, adds a real "wow" factor to any website with a lot of specialized vocabulary. It's amazing and refreshingly simple to just hover to get the definition. Support from the developer has been excellent.
Great support and plugin
Plugin is working as stated, a good choice if you need a glossary. Very good support.
Great Plugin and awesome Support
I rarely write reviews, but this plugin really deserves it. It is among the best if not the best Glossary Plugin around. It has a tremendous amount of features and options. And the support is great. I had a few bugs in the first version I downloaded and they were all taken care of in a matter of hours. Keep up the great work!